As a mom, there have been plenty of days that I’ve not made it to the shower before dinner time and that just has to be OK. Also, there are days a workout is more important that looking stylish so I throw on workout clothes and get that done when I can sneak it in and that is as far as I get. But, when I do decide to pull myself together which IS happening more often as my kids get older, I’ve figured out a few tricks. Some of these tricks I’ve learned from other stylish moms and some I’ve learned from experience. Here are a few I’ve gathered along the way.
First of all, it doesn’t have to happen every day. Some days are just laundry, working out, cleaning and catching up and you should be just dressed for that. I love these productive days. Now, when all that is done, here are some go-to style tactics I’ve learned from stylish moms.
- Shirtdresses are great one-stop-shopping pieces. A cute shirtdress is easy to grab, add a pair of earrings and cute sandals and you look very put together with very little effort. And, you can have as many shirtdresses as you want. Lots of great brands make them and they seemingly never go out of style. You can do boots, sandals or wedges and change the look of them as you wish.
- A great pair of wedges. I love Antelope and Marc Fisher currently. Put these on with a t-shirt dress, jeans or even shorts and take a casual outfit up a notch immediately.
- Go-to brands or stores. I have a few go-to stores where I know I can always find something stylish, age appropriate and fits that work for me. I was happy to put in the hours of shopping to find my faves. My go-to stores year after year are J. Crew, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, Madewell and Neiman Marcus (denim).
- Accessorize. Grab a Kendra Scott set or something else that can go with lots of things and you can just throw on to finish a look. If you have jeans and a tee, but throw on a long necklace and a pair of hoops, the outfit goes from plain to stylish in 2 seconds.
- Lipstick. A great neutral color that looks good on you. Any make-up counter can help with this. Put this on with a little mascara and…. stylish!
- Find a great stylist. If you want to shop at higher-end department stores, I recommend going in on a weekday morning right when they open. You get amazing service and can try on lots of things. They are very happy to help with size, accessories, etc. If you enjoy shopping local, find a store near you that carries great brands. These stores are so great with personal styling. Henry & Pearl right here in Milton, GA will work with you to get a few great, classic, stylish outfits for the season.
- Shop with a stylish, honest friend. I love to shop with my friends. We are honest with each other and hold each other to the 3-second test. That means that you need to love it the moment you put it on. If you say anything like, “it’s just a little long” or “I’m not sure about…” or anything like these, don’t even bother with it. You must love it or you won’t wear it.
Please share your tips with me, too.